Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion SummitExploring Theories on Why the Legal Profession is Lagging in Diversity and Creating Solutions for Meaningful Change
DeRay Mckesson is a civil rights activist focused primarily on issues of innovation, equity and justice. As a leading voice in the Black Lives Matter Movement and a co-founder of Campaign Zero, DeRay has worked to connect individuals with knowledge and tools, and provide citizens and policy makers with commonsense policies that ensure equity.
DeRay frequently appears on national media outlets including The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, NPR, MSNBC, CNN, among many others. He was named one of the World’s Greatest Leaders by Fortune Magazine in 2015 and one of the 30 Most Influential People On The Internet by Time Magazine in 2016.
Schedule (October 19, 2021, Eastern Time)
- 10:00am - 10:10am: Opening Remarks
- 10:15am - 10:45am: Keynote Address - A Discussion on Race in the United States
- 11:00am - 11:45am (concurrent sessions):
- Session 1: Debunking the Myth of the "Applicant Pool Problem"
- Session 2: Strategies for Success for Minority Attorneys: Navigating and Succeeding in Large Law Firms
- Session 3: Foundational DEI Concepts: Defining Microaggressions
- 12:00pm - 12:30pm: LUNCH BREAK
- 12:30pm - 1:30pm: Combating Imposter Syndrome for Minority Attorneys (CLE)
- 1:45pm - 2:45pm (concurrent sessions):
- Session 1: Strategies for Building and Managing Diverse Legal Teams (CLE)
- Session 2: Strategies for Diversifying the Judiciary (CLE)
- 3:00 - 3:30: Closing Keynote Address - Tackling Implicit Bias in the Legal Profession
- 3:30 - 4:30: Closing Remarks and Live Q&A with Closing Keynote Speaker Paulette Brown
Lawline is dedicated to promoting a culture of diversity and inclusion within the legal community. We believe that diverse backgrounds provide unique perspectives, resulting in innovation and excellence. As an online CLE provider serving attorneys nationwide, this commitment serves our members by enhancing the quality of programming we provide and delivering fresh ideas to lawyers who serve a diverse clientele.
Upcoming Virtual Events
DEI SummitA Real Conversation About Gender
November 9 & 10
DEI SummitTackling Ableism in the Legal Workplace
December 13 & 14
Well-Being EventHumans First: Supporting the Whole Attorney Through Well-Being
Business & Professional Development EventAnnual Planning Workshop for Small Firm & Solo Practitioners
December 8 & 9